What To Do When CPS-DHS Calls - Sherlag Attorney at Law Portland, OR
page-template-default,page,page-id-668,page-child,parent-pageid-525,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_grid_1300,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-theme-ver-10.1.1,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive

What To Do When CPS-DHS Calls

What To Do When CPS/DHS Calls

Child Protective Services (CPS) workers, many of whom are employees of the Oregon Department of Human Services (DHS), are responsible for responding to reports of suspected child abuse and neglect, including reports from children. Sometimes these cases originate with information from a neighbor, teacher, friend, family member or a party in a high-conflict divorce.

The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachments by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding. – Louis Brandeis

Mandated reporters — medical providers, teachers and many other professionals who are required by law to report, in good faith, suspected child abuse and neglect — are generally well intentioned and hardworking. However, sometimes they look for the worst in people. Sometimes they make decisions that are hasty, drawing important conclusions about children, parents and guardians without having all the facts. This can cause more harm than good. Many people resent state interference in family matters.

CPS workers can be aggressive and pushy. Your heart may race when you hear the letters “DHS.” DHS employees may frighten you by threatening to take your children from you; they may intimidate you; they may fail to follow state interviewing guidelines in talking to you about your case. The fear may cause you to feel pressure to talk to these workers when it is not in your best interest or your child’s best interest. If CPS or DHS personnel have contacted you about a child abuse matter, you need to talk to a lawyer right away.

Experienced Legal Representation When Child Abuse Was Reported

At Steven J. Sherlag, P.C., in Portland, Oregon, I take a balanced, holistic approach to matters related to alleged child abuse. With more than 20 years of experience as an attorney, including extensive courtroom experience, I am known for zealously protecting my clients’ legal rights. I can advise and represent you if your case involves:

  • Allegations of domestic violence
  • Accusations related to sexual abuse of a child
  • The questioning of your child, which may create false memories or create inaccurate testimony
  • Previous involvement by Oregon’s child and teen protective services
  • The need for therapeutic services or treatment
  • Accusations of abuse originating with an ex-spouse or former partner

As your attorney, I will evaluate your case carefully, gather the facts, develop a viable defense strategy and make sure you keep in step with the legal process.

Contact Me Today

I can answer your questions about critical child protection matters and criminal accusations.