Contact Sherlag | De Muniz Attorneys at Law for Sexual Crimes Legal Services in Portland, Oregon. We will Protect your Rights and Freedoms.
Registering as a sex offender and serving time in prison are just two of the very serious consequences you face when charged with a sex crime in Oregon. You need a lawyer who will not judge you, and will put his heart into defending you and your freedoms at every opportunity.
With more than 20 years of criminal defense experience and a respected reputation in the community as an aggressive advocate for my clients, you can rely on me, Steven J. Sherlag, to be that lawyer for you.
Contact my Portland law firm to begin building a solid defense to your charges today.
Respectful And Aggressive Representation Against All Sex Crime Charges
I will fight the prosecution at every single turn during your case, no matter the sex crime you are accused of, including:
- Child sex abuse: Oregon law calls for serious long-term penalties for those convicted of sexual abuse of a child. It is important to work with a criminal defense attorney who has experience with these challenging cases.
- Child pornography: If you are facing charges related to the possession or trade of child pornography, I can help you take the steps necessary to protect your rights, your reputation and your future. I also provide skilled assistance in cases involving the accidental viewing of child pornography.
- Statutory rape: There are a number of defense strategies that can be used in statutory rape cases. As your lawyer, I will carefully examine your case to determine the best course of action.
- Date rape: Issues of consent can be complex and highly emotional. If you have been accused of date rape, I will provide compassionate legal guidance through every stage of the process.
- Sexual assault: If you have been accused of sexual assault, you need an experienced criminal defense lawyer at your side. I will work closely with you to develop an effective defense strategy based on the unique circumstances of your case.
- Juveniles charged with a sex crime: Juveniles face a number of unique issues when charged with a sex crime. In particular, I will push aggressively to ensure your child’s case is considered in the juvenile system, where it belongs, rather than the adult courts.
- Solicitation of a minor: A conviction for solicitation of a minor usually results in lengthy prison terms and registration as a sex offender, which can affect your life for decades. I will do everything possible to help you avoid these serious consequences.
- Prostitution: I offer discreet and compassionate defense services to those accused of soliciting a prostitute. There are a number of effective strategies that can be used in these cases; as your attorney, I will help you pursue a solution that will have a minimum impact on your life.
I am well-known for my “never back down” attitude. When the prosecution attempts to start a fight, I finish it. You can rely on me to have your back in and out of the courtroom.
Handling Accusations Of Child Sex Abuse In Oregon
Accusations of child abuse are investigated very rigorously by members of Child Protective Services, many of whom work for the Oregon Department of Human Services. A visit by DHS representatives can be an embarrassing and frightening experience, one made no easier by the often intimidating and threatening demeanor of CPS/DHS personnel. If you have been contacted by CPS or DHS, it is important that you understand what to do next.
Reports of child abuse often come from mandated reporters, such as doctors or teachers, who are required to report suspicions of child abuse to authorities. In many cases, these mandated reporters are misled by exaggerated or misconstrued statements, a situation that can lead to serious complications for parents.
In other cases, accusations of child sex abuse may be falsified by the other parent in an attempt to gain an advantage in a divorce or child custody case. I have a great deal of experience handling false accusations of child abuse; as your lawyer, I will work closely with you to uncover the truth and effectively present your case.
Sexual offenses are severely punished in Oregon, and a conviction will often result in years or decades of imprisonment, lengthy probation and a lifetime of registration as a sex offender. Many serious sex crimes, such as rape, unlawful sexual penetration or sexual abuse, are punishable under Oregon’s Measure 11, which calls for strict mandatory minimum prison sentences for those convicted of these crimes.
Even after release from prison, those convicted of a sex crime will generally be added to Oregon’s public sex offender registry. Registration generally lasts a lifetime, however, under certain circumstances; it may be possible to be removed from the sex offender registry. If you want relief from sex offender registration, I will guide you through the process and prepare the necessary documents.
As a law firm dedicated to criminal defense, I conduct in-depth investigations into every client’s case. I consult with experts who can evaluate the state’s evidence to determine its merit. I also work closely with a skilled investigator who can track down witnesses and collect and preserve appropriate evidence.